Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shiny Brite

Hi stampers! I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today.  I used to love putting up the Christmas tree at both of my grandma's houses!  They both had cool old ornaments...you know the ones I'm talking about....shiny brites!  I'm not sure if either one of my parents has any now but I remember them so well and the cool vintage looking boxes too!  My favorites were the ones that had the silver or gold middles that sloped inward and I like the bells too. I guess the ones with the indented parts were called reflectors. Remember these?

I love everything about shiny brites aside from the fact that they remind me of fond memories with my grandparents!  I love the shininess, the shapes, and the bright colors!  I did a little research and found some interesting history about them too (I'm geeky like that).  You can read it HERE.  I'm sure there is more info out there.   Christopher Radko now makes reproductions and I just may have to get some of those.  I should really should ask my parents if they have any as well!

Anyway, sorry for the long trip down memory lane but those ornaments inspired this card:

Stampin' Supplies:
Stamps:  Grateful greetings, Tree trimmings, music notes (wheel)
Paper:  Very vanilla, pool party, calypso coral, blushing bride, silver glimmer
Ink:  Pool party, calypso coral, blushing bride, more mustard, versamark, tea stain distressing ink
Accessories:  Stocking accents die, circle punches, blushing bride pleated satin ribbon (occasions mini sneak peek), pewter embossing powder

I used the stocking accents die since the ornament reminded me of the shiny brites.  On the coral ornament I sponged my glimmer paper with more mustard ink to make it gold!  How cool is that?  I also sponged each ornament in it's respective color and then tea stain over that.  I even distressed the ribbon with the tea stain ink.  I thought the muisc wheel would make the background nicely vintage as well.  The card base is also sponged with pool party and tea stain and the vanilla panel is tea stained as well.  I did goof up the spacing of my ornaments and hangers a bit on the blushing bride one but maybe you'd never have noticed if I didn't just tell on myself, no?  Oh well, that's what makes a hand made card one of a kind right? :-)

Shiny brites just may inspire many more cards!!!!  I wished I had thought of this earlier in the Christmas card making season, ha!  I'm off to go look at more pictures of them and reminisce!

Happy stamping!

1 comment:

  1. Love how you interpreted the piece!

    I have a thing for vintage ornaments like those. My mom inherited some from her mom and even though they are old and have seen better days, they have always been my favorite ornaments on the tree - especially the apple core! I hope I'll inherit them myself someday, although I have a feeling my sister might have an eye on them as well...

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I probably won't respond unless you ask a direct question (because I know my limits, lol) but I read and appreciate every single one <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...