Friday, August 25, 2017

A Magical Birthday - Corporate Blog Post

Hi stampers!  I'm posting my corporate post that was published on the SU homepage yesterday!  I hope you enjoy it!  You can check it out there as well!

Mindy here and I'm bringing you a magical project today.  I may be a boy mom but there's no denying that unicorns are super popular right now.  I do a lot of browsing on Pinterest and Instagram and they are everywhere!  I was particularly inspired for this project by all things...a picture of ice-cream bars that looked like unicorns!  Inspiration is everywhere!

I got to work on what I could use for a unicorn and did some more image searches.  I came across a lot of unicorn cakes and I had it!  I knew I had to pull out my favorite dies, the celebration thinlit dies (143703)!  These are my favorite dies in the catalog and I haven't seen them used a lot yet, so I hope I can make you give these a second look if you haven't already.  There are a lot of little steps to making this card and treat box, but it really was easy and totally worth it!


I happened to glance down, saw these markers next to each other, and I knew they would be perfect for this project.  I used emerald envy and sweet sugarplum from the 2016-2018 In Color Stampin' Write Markers (141393) and powder pink and berry burst from the 2017-2019 In Color Stampin' Write Markers (144033).  I splattered each on on some Watercolor Paper (122959) then lightly spritzed it with a Stampin' Spritzer (126185).  I love the effect! Don't be afraid to splatter with your markers.  I'm super picky about keeping my supplies in tip top shape and so far they are holding up well.  All you need to do is gently flick the brush tip inside the cap over your paper.


I cut my cake out of Whisper White Cardstock (100730) and trimmed off the top two layers as shown below.  You'll want to save the top layer to use for the ears.  I cut a second cake from Powder Pink Cardstock (144244) for the cake stand and then you'll also want to save the little positive pieces you usually pop out of the topper here, for the ears.  I trimmed both cake toppers so that the middle loop was gone and then I was able to use just a little tiny bit of glue from the Fine Tip Glue Pen (138309) around the edges of where the pieces pop out on the pink cake, to keep them in place.  You'll want to layer the white piece over the pink one with a little more glue.  After it dries, snip it in half and then you'll be able to place your ears where you like them around your horn and flowers.


I used my basic Basic Black Stampin' Write Marker (100082) to freehand the eyes and eyelashes. You may want to practice on some scratch paper first.  I added little blushing cheeks with some Powder Pink Classic Stampin' Pad (144086) and a Blender Pen (102845).   For the unicorn horn, a little bit of our Gold Foil Sheets (132622) cut into a small triangle fit the bill.  I glued that to the back of my cake and moved onto cutting my flowers out.  The flowers are actually meant to be the top or pom pom of the birthday hat in the thinlit set but they make great flowers!  I also cut some greenery out of the Lovely Laurel Thinlits (143731) from Emerald Envy Cardstock (141415) and just snipped off a few leaves.  I arranged the flowers and leaves to my liking and then adhered them down.  To add some glam, I placed a sequin from the Iridescent Sequin Assortment (144212) or Metallic Sequin Assortment (144214) in the center and then topped those with a Pearl Basic Jewel (144219).

I added my little unicorn to a tag cut from the celebration framelits and simply tied a bow at the top with some Black Solid Baker's Twine (141682).  Looping a little Gold Metallic Thread (138401) behind the tag ties in the gold from the unicorn horn.  A couple of more randomly placed sequins really pick up the fun colors.  I added those with just a touch of our fine tip glue.

I heat embossed the "have a" and "birthday' sentiments from thoughtful banners with White Stampin' Emboss Powder (109132) and cut them out.  I stamped out "magical" with the Labeler Alphabet Stamp Set (141936) using Basic Black Stampin' Archival Ink (140931) on whisper white and cut it out as well.  I added them to my card with my very favorite product, our Mini Stampin' Dimensionals (144108).  They are really fantastic for those little jobs and I'm happy I don't have to try to cut regular dimensionals in little pieces now!  If you haven't picked up a pack, I highly recommend you do so!



I decided my unicorn needed a friend so I made a quick and cute treat box from our Clear Tiny Treat Boxes (141699.  I cut a 2" x 8" liner from whisper white and scored it at 2, 4, and 6 inches.  I trimmed just a hair off of each end to make it easier to slip in the box after I made my unicorn face in the same manner as the card.  I also made my flowers in the same way and I used Mini Glue Dots (103683) to adhere them right to the box.



The two differences here are the horn and the ears. for the horn, I cut out the party hat from the celebrations framelits using our Gold Glimmer Paper (133719).


It's a bit thicker and I seem to need to run it back and forth a few times to get it to cut through in my big shot.  I only ran it though once on purpose so that the cutout parts would actually stay together.  Just make sure to lift it very gently from the die so it stays together.  For the ears, I simply freehand cut them.  I also used my blender pen to put some powder pink on the insides.  I adhered both the horn and the ears to the little flap that goes down inside the box and very carefully closed it.


I hope you enjoyed my magical project!  And I hope that you'll try to make your own unicorn!  I'd love to see it if you do!

Happy stamping!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Mindy!!! This is AWESOME... You made my Heart Glad and now I can make my daughter (who is 33, but loves this stuff) a wonderful gift.... Thank You so MUCH for the Inspiration... Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful and so very cleaver of you. I have just put this bundle on an order and so I will be trying your magical ideas. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I probably won't respond unless you ask a direct question (because I know my limits, lol) but I read and appreciate every single one <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...